Thinking of picking up or renewing your PlayStation Plus subscription this Prime Day? Well, no need.
Leave aside the fact that this year’s PS Plus Offers on the first day do not disappoint; even if they weren’t, I’d offer you the same advice. Prime day is not the best time to pick up or renew PS Plus if you want a decent discount, especially if you want to benefit from the savings for years to come.
Instead, I highly recommend waiting until Black Friday 2022 to get a great PS Plus deal – here’s why.
A cruel victim
First things first: let’s take a look at the very scarce deals currently available on Amazon for PS Plus. As far as I can see there is only one discount (if you can even call it that) in the UK and one in the US.
In the US you can save 10% on 12 months of PS Plus, and in the UK you can save pennies on a three-month membership. (Not in the UK or US? Scroll down to find deals in your area). These aren’t necessarily Prime Day deals, per se, but even if we look at third-party retailers like CD Keys, there aren’t many discounts available right now.
You can check out Amazon’s deals below, though you’re wasting your time:
So when should I renew?
Black Friday is the perfect time to extend your PS Plus, or get the first time. You’ll find other discounts throughout the year, sometimes with a price as competitive as we see during the Black Friday period (the day itself is November 25 this year), but Black Friday is the only time when you can really guarantee that the price will drop a number of retailers.
Last year, for example, we saw a 12-month subscription to PS Plus drop to just £29.95 at ShopTo in the UK and just $36.99 at CD Keys in the US.
The best part about renewing or signing up for a 12-month PS Plus subscription during this period is that you get to renew the next one It’s Black Friday again this year, so you’ll get a discount again. This is a brilliant strategy. You can even combine memberships, so you can buy multiple years of memberships at a discount if you’re worried about the price not being that low.
Even if you’re at the critical point where your subscription is due to expire before Black Friday, I recommend purchasing a cheaper three-month subscription to tide you over until then (check out our cheapest PS Plus deals page for more).
However, during the sales period itself, I strongly recommend signing up for a 12-month subscription rather than a three-month one, as I’ve found it to be better value for money. Also, if you buy a three-month membership during Black Friday, it will expire at the end of February 2022, when there are usually no sales.
How will the PS Plus upgrade affect deals?
Excellent question. We’re not quite sure yet, but given that what used to be a standard PS Plus membership is now the Essential tier, we’re guessing that the discounts will continue at that tier at least.
But we hope that the new Extra and Premium tiers, which cost more than the regular subscription, will also get a discount.
However, the revamp strengthens the argument that it’s smart to wait until Black Friday to get a good PS Plus deal. As the upgrade kicks in and new games are gradually added to the tiered libraries, it’s definitely worth waiting until November to find out which tier you’ll like.
Are you happy with the current PS Plus offer? Then it’s best to stick with the Essential level. Do you want to play a catalog of PS4 and PS5 games? Then maybe consider Extra. Want access to all of this, plus retro PlayStation games? Then Premium might be for you.
Basically, there’s nothing wrong with waiting to see how things work out and then deciding which option is the best for you.
Other PS Plus offers
No matter where you live, you’ll find all the lowest PS Plus prices online right here, with deals available in your area.
More Prime Day deals in the US
More Prime Day deals in the UK
- Amazon devices: up to 65% off Echo Dot and Fire TV Cube (opens in a new tab)
- Adidas: 30% discount on sportswear and sneakers (opens in a new tab)
- apple: save up to £150 on iPad and Apple Watch (opens in a new tab)
- Back to School: backpacks and stationery from £1.50 (opens in a new tab)
- Beauty: save on Rimmel, Revlon, Olay and other top brands (opens in a new tab)
- Coffee machines: from just £19 with up to 60% off. (opens in a new tab)
- Cheap Fire tablets: Amazon Fire tablets from £34.99 (opens in a new tab)
- dental: 57% off Oral-B and Philips electric toothbrushes (opens in a new tab)
- Fashion: 40% off Vans, Hugo Boss, Wrangler and more (opens in a new tab)
- Fire TV Stick: lowest price on all models (opens in a new tab)
- Grocery: £10 off your first three grocery stores (opens in a new tab)
- Care and hair care: 60% off Philips, Remmington shavers and straighteners (opens in a new tab)
- Headphones: Sony and Bose headphones at the lowest prices (opens in a new tab)
- Kindle: 25% off Kindle eReader bundles (opens in a new tab)
- Laptops: 15% off Microsoft, Huawei, Acer and Asus laptops (opens in a new tab)
- Phones: Lowest Price Google Pixel 6, OnePlus, Motorola (opens in a new tab)
- PS5: Dualsense offers plus savings on leading games (opens in a new tab)
- Security: £180 off Ring Home Security packages (opens in a new tab)
- Smart home: £144 discount Ring and Echo bundles (opens in a new tab)
- A smart watch: up to 50% off Garmin watches and trackers (opens in a new tab)
- Tablets: 41% off Samsung, Lenovo and Huawei tablets (opens in a new tab)
- tools: 49% off selected Bosch tools and garden products (opens in a new tab)
- Televisions: 4K TVs from just £199 with half price offers (opens in a new tab)
- Vacuum cleaners: 35% off Shark Cordless Vacuums (opens in a new tab)
- Xbox: The Xbox Series X is available for £449 (opens in a new tab)