Plastic G-Shocks and other similar, affordable watches made using synthetic and semi-synthetic polymer-based materials excellent, in part because of the many beneficial properties of plastic – one of which is affordability. But it is usually assumed that spending more means you finish this stuff and its “cheap” associations.

That is why in five-digit watches plastic is widely used, as in new ones Ulysse Nardin Diver X Ocean Raceinteresting – and a little controversial.

The upscale Swiss watchmaker certainly doesn’t just use plastic as a material to reduce costs: no, it’s all for the benefit of the planet, and the oceans in particular. Partnership with yachting competitions The Ocean Race, Ulysse Nardin made a watch with a case width of 44 mm, 60 percent made of recycled polyamide (a variety of plastic) from remanufactured ocean fishing nets. The remaining 40 percent is the brand’s own carbon composite material called Carbonium, which the brand also notes is environmentally friendly.


Ulysse Nardin Diver X Ocean Race

$ 11,500.00

The material should be very light like the others carbon clock (and, hey, plastic too) as well as durable. It seems that almost every part of the watch contains recycled material, including it inside the house UN-118 automatic movement inside. This mechanism is where most of the cost / value of such high-end watches comes from, and it includes other technical materials Ulysse Nardin is especially known as silicon. 80 percent of the hull parts are also recycled.

The strap is 100 percent made from recycled fishing nets, and the packaging is made entirely of other ocean plastics.

Ulysse Nardin is not the first watch brand to be used recycled ocean plastic in watchesbut it is there is the most elite example we know. With it you will find affordable watches Nixon office Luminoxand a Swiss watchmaker Alpina even made a recycled plastic version of his $ 1,700 diver featuring a Sellita SW-200 automatic mechanism inside.

Ulysses Norden has dealt with this space in other ways. It used to produce similar to recycled plastic straps, and in 2020 released a prototype that is not for sale. Now, finally, such watches are in wider production and are becoming available as a limited edition of 200 copies.

With Diver X Ocean Race, Ulysse Nardin contains an impressive amount of resilience in a product that can fit on your wrist. Plastic may not seem sexy, but its use here transports it to the realm of the exotic. Think about it: it definitely required a lot more technical research and development than making the same watch out of a traditional material like steel.

Does this justify its $ 11,500 cost? This is your task, but you get a 300-meter waterproof dive watch from a prestigious brand that too full of conversation.


This content is created and maintained by a third party and imported to this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on

Previous articleDXDT RACING prepares to intensify heat in NEW ORLEAN
Next articleThe three-wheeled SUV Land Rover Defender 130 was teased